minutes of Committee meeting -19/09/23

West Highland Wheelers Committee Meeting –Tuesday 19th September 2023

Present – Doug Little, Marian Austin, Gregor Muir, Gill Barnes, Norman Clark, Mark Clark, Steve Bradley, Dave and Jacqui Parfitt.

Apologies – Nathan Marsh.

Fort to Fort

  • Planned for Sunday the 29th of October.
  • Permission has been given from The Great Glen Way Events team to run the event.
  • The crash barrier on the pavement at Bridge of Oich is still there and the old pedestrian footbridge is still closed. It was agreed that we would pursue these issues further, but if nothing can be resolved we shall go from Fort William to Fort Augustus again. Gregor is going to send an email to Stewart Easthaugh to ask what can be done.
  • Sign on will be from 9.30 until 9.45 with the first riders leaving at 10.00.
  • It would be good to remind people that the clocks go back one hour on Saturday night.
  • Riders will be asked for a minimum £5 donation to take part in the event. This will be donated to Highland Hospice in memory of Lynsay Jarrett.
  • As per last year, rather than being run as a race this will be a “club ride”. We shall still provide timing so that riders can compare their times against each other, and against previous years. Riders will be covered for third party liability by Scottish Cycling. It would be good to remind riders that for this event, and other events that the club runs, that they should consider joining Scottish Cycling if they require more comprehensive insurance.
  • Doug will sweep at the back on his e-bike. It was decided that we did not have to have a sweeper van as most people will be able to call on their own back up.
  • We need to advertise for someone to do timing and for marshals.
  • Tea, coffee and tray bakes will be provided at the end.
  • High School kids are able to do the race unaccompanied.
  • Doug will write a newsletter to be sent out by Sunday 1st of October to promote the event and ask for Marshalls. Also included in this newsletter needs to be info about the AGM, Winter League and Wednesday night rides + an appeal for a new Chairman, social media person and someone to help with child protection issues.


  • Planned for Thursday the 9th of November at 7.30 -venue to be confirmed.
  • The agenda needs to go out 3 weeks beforehand.
  • The bike track AGM will follow immediately after.
  • Awards

           – Most Improved Downhiller  –  Daniel Parfitt

           – Most improved Lady -Bronagh

           – Most improved Junior male – to be decided by the kid’s club committee

           – Most improved junior female – to be decided by the kid’s club committee.

           It was agreed that the kid’s trophies would be presented at the final kid’s club session of the year.

  • Presentations

          – Doug will do a chairman’s report (including a kid’s club report)

          – Gill will do a treasurer’s report.

  • Committee positions.

  – Doug is definitely standing down as chairman.

  – We also definitely need to find someone to be social secretary and help with the flow  information  to members through newsletters, social media etc .

– We also need someone to help with child  protection .

  • Subscriptions for 2023/2024- agreed to keep the same for this year but to definitely look at increasing them next year.

         – Juniors/students  £8.00

         – Senior £17.00

         – Family £28.00

         – Small Family (it was agreed to keep this) £24

  • Doug will collect all the trophies for presentation.

Winter League

  • Agreed to hold 8 races.
  • The date for the first race is provisionally going to be the 19th of November, followed by the 3rd of December.
  • Marian is going to check with Vince re a date for the Clare Mackintosh memorial. There is only one bank holiday between Christmas and New year (the 26th) so it might be better to run it on a date after New Year.
  • Mark is happy to run a race at his Croft but would prefer if it was later in the year this time.
  • NACC have been in touch to say that they are keen to run a race.
  • Other possible organisers/venues are Leon (Achaderry Estate), Ben Miller (Duror), Lance/Stewart (Wolftrax using the new blue run) Vince???? (Invergarry), Doug???? (Nevis Range)
  • Marian will aim to put together a rough schedule for the AGM.
  • We need to decide how many races we are doing on Forestry land and decide whether it is best to apply for a multiple permission license from Forestry.
  • Andy has very kindly agreed to run the Xmas Handicap again on Sunday the 17th of December.
  • The best 5 out of 8 races will count towards the final table standings.
  • Kids’ club races may not be possible at all the venues and will be organized separately by the kid’s club.
  • Races will be free for members. £5 for non-members.

Wednesday nights

  •  Gregor has the 4 lights for night riding that we purchased last year. It would be good to put this info out in the newsletter.
  • Gregor has made a rough schedule for the next wee while and is open to any suggestions. It was agreed that it would be a good idea to use Nevis Range as a venue more often during the winter as there is always the option there of less muddy trails.

Kid’s Club

  • Will run up until the beginning of December before stopping for the winter.
  • Level 1 course booked for the 21st and 22nd October with Mark Clark.
  • Important for insurance purposes that Leaders are up to date with their first aid qualifications, Scottish Cycling membership, CWPS training and are disclosed.

Bike Park

  • Main pumptrack is now open. Aim is now to get the skatepark and Lighting finished in the next few weeks.

Lochaber Trail Association

  • Next dig is Sunday 30th September 30th at Glen Loy. The 3rd phase of Sunset trail.
  • Mark confirmed that Nevis Range re now maintaining trails only as far as Black Crane, Ridgeline, Buddies and the old red. Once Sunset trail is finished  LTA are going to make a phased approach plan for restoring the Cackle. Forestry are going to look at restoring Broomstick Blue once the works at The North Face car park are completed.


  • Facebook issues. The changes that Jacqui has made to Facebook controls appear to be working and we have had no further pornography posts appearing.
  • Nevis Range issues. Following on from the last meeting, Gregor sent a letter to Nevis Range asking for a meeting to discuss communication issues. So far, this meeting has not happened.
  • Nevis Range are offering members a 10% discount on the upcoming Night and day enduro. Jacqui will send out info about this.
  • New BBQ. It was agreed to pay Claire £200 for her unused BBQ (RRP £300)
  • Steve confirmed that the new blue trail at Wolftrax is scheduled to be ready for the October holidays. He also offered to guide a group ride around the naturals on the other side of the road.
  • New tops. It was agreed to ask Claire to get in contact with Fortan to get a design for new  tops. These tops should keep intact the essence of the old ones. If possible, it would be great to have a sample to show at the AGM so that we can ask for orders. To give everyone an idea of the correct size then it would be great if Claire could bring along a selection of Nevis Cycles ones to try on.
  • Following contact from Scottish Cycling it was agreed to ask at the AGM if there is any interest in the club running organized gravel bike rides.

Bank Balance – £14090  (£7000 of this is to go to the pump track)

Next Meeting – The AGM on Thursday the 9th of November.