Committee meeting minutes 08/12/21

West Highland Wheelers Committee Meeting Tuesday the 8th of December 2021 on Zoom

Present; Doug Little, Marian Austin, Dave Parfitt, Jacqui Parfitt, Norma Marshall, Steve Bradley, Mark Clark.

Apologies; Norman Clark, Ian Pooleman, Ailsa Pooleman

Trail Maintenance.

Steve brought up that it is important for leaders at Kid’s Club (and for the rest of us) to take care in deciding which trails to go down according to current conditions. A lot of damage was done to Rainbow Nation last Saturday morning following the previous days torrential rain.

It would be good in the future to try to do some more trail maintenance sessions after morning Club sessions. Learning about how to build trails and proper trail etiquette is an important part of what kid’s club should be about.

Xmas Handicap.

  • Good to go for Sunday the 19th Dec.  on the normal route in Glen Nevis. Meeting from 10.15 onwards in Braveheart Car Park.
  • Everyone to bring presents up to a value of £6.00 for the lucky dip at the end.
  • As per the Winter League races, High School kids can race unaccompanied. Primary age kids wishing to do the whole race need to be accompanied by a responsible adult.
  • There will be a shorter kid’s version which will start after all the riders in the main race have left.
  • Doug and Gregor are happy to help Andy out with course marking etc.

Winter League.

  • Numbers for the first two races have been relatively low. Not too sure of the reasons for this but we definitely need to make sure that information about the races gets out timely. With this in mind, Jacqui and Norma are going to have a separate zoom meeting so that Jacqui can pass on to Norma tips as to how best to use mail chimp.

Provisional Schedule for the rest of the series is below

            DATE                                    VENUE                             ORGANISER                        KID’S RACE

Tuesday 28th DecemberNevis Range – Clare Mackintosh Memorial raceVince and Cammie  MackintoshYes
Sunday 16th JanBarcaldineNACCyes
Sunday Feb 6thWhitebridge, InvergarryVince MackintoshPossibly
Sunday Feb 27thStrontianJo and James TaitProbably
Sunday March 20thWolftrax??????????????Probably
April 15th – 18thEaster  
Sunday ???????Nevis Range – possible Enduro?Steve?Probably
  • Wolftrax are happy for us to come on the 20th of March. For future reference, anyone organizing a race should contact Christian at Wolftrax in the first instance rather than Forestry to check if everything is ok. We need an organizer for this race ( risk assessment and course map have already been done by Jamie)
  • The planned date for the last race of the 24th of April clashes with a Scottish Enduro race at Nevis Range, so we shall need to look at an alternative date. Steve is happy to organize the race and will liase with Spook as to when would be a good date. It will definitely be important to limit numbers for the Enduro.

Committee positions.

  • It would be great if Jodie was willing to come on to the committee. Doug will check with her if she is still interested.
  • We need to get a youth representative. Maybe best to ask in a kid’s club email
  • Paul Jefferies has offered to help with Facebook.
  • We need someone who will keep on top of ensuring that all coaches qualifications are up to date and to look at organizing training courses.

Wed nights.

  • Storm Arwen has ruled out Strone as a potential venue for some time. All the other venues which Gregor posted recently are good to go, apart from the odd fallen tree.

Time Trials.

  • It would be good if Alastair, Dave, or Emma would be able to come to the next meeting in

February in preparation for next year’s series of races.

Kid’s Club.

  • The last session before the winter break will be this Saturday the 11th.
  • Cory and Nina recently completed their level 1 British Cycling leadership course with Mike Pescod – many congratulations. Daniel, Cole and Joseph also did some training with Mark Clark to get them ready for doing the official course next year. They, together with Evan, Fraser, Kai, Kieran, and Rory have all been doing a fantastic job in the kid’s club sessions helping out with the leading of the younger groups. We are hoping to run another Level 1 course for 16-year-olds in the Spring.
  • Many thanks to Lochaber Sports Association for giving us a grant of £380 to help with the course.

Pump Track

  • It has been confirmed that the pump track received a grant of £290,000 from the Scottish Cycling facilities fund. A further £75,000 is required to get the project started. If anyone has any ideas how to raise this money, then Gregor would be very keen to hear from them!
  • Other donations; Garfield Weston Foundation grant – £25,000

Adult Social rides

  • Formal club organization of these rides will stop next Saturday. However, the ladies’ group have intimated that they will carry on organizing rides themselves over the winter.
  • It would be great to start formally organized rides again in the Spring.
  • James Bracher at Scottish Cycling has written an extremely positive article about the ladies group. We are not sure yet where (or when) it is going to be published.

Bank Balance

  • Currently stands at £11,185. Doug estimates that it will go down to around £ 10,000 by Christmas as several payments will be going out soon for Child protection courses, a first aid course and Mike’s Level 1 course.

Any Other Business.

  • Electric Trishaw -we have been awarded a grant of £9800 from The Highland Council Wards Discretionary Fund. This will enable the Wheelers to become a “chapter” of “Cycling without age” which has proven so popular in Inverness. The grant will enable us to purchase one electric trishaw, to get training for pilots and insurance and maintenance for two years. Lisa McGillvray is happy to do all the administration for the project. She will also store the bike in her shed in the first instance. Once the pump track project gets going, then this might be a good area to store it as Gregor is keen to get disability cycling involved with the project.  The initial focus will be to get care home residents out for small journeys.
  • An order has gone into the Big Bobble Hat company for 50 Wheelers branded bobble hats. These cost £18 per person and the aim would be to sell them on at somewhere near this price. We are hopeful that they will be here by Christmas, but unfortunately this is not guaranteed. The Big Bobble Hat company can also do Wheelers branded buffs and it was agreed that these would be good to give out instead of T-shirts for anyone who completes at least 3 Winter League races.
  • Marian has done a great job in collating much of the information required from Scottish Cycling in order to get club affiliation for next year.
  •  It would be good for the club to organize a first aid course regularly every spring (and possibly in the Autumn) to help to ensure that all Leaders can stay up to date. It would also be good, going forward, to have a designated person who can keep on top of qualification requirements for all the leaders.
  • To help to ensure that all leaders are members of Scottish Cycling it might be good to look at discussing whether the club pays for this cost – further discussion needed.

Next Meeting – Tuesday the 8th of February at 7.00.

COMMITTEE MINUTES 19.10.21

West Highland Wheelers Committee Meeting held on Zoom – Tuesday the 19th of October 2021

 

Present; Doug Little, Dave Parfitt, Jacqui Parfitt, Gill Barnes, Marian Austin.

Apologies; Ian Pooleman, Ailsa Pooleman, Gregor Muir, Steve Bradley, Evelyn Maclennan, Shaun Lee.

 

Fort to Fort – Sunday the 31st of October.

  • The Great Glen Way events team have given us the ok to run the event. There are a few works going on along the route, so there is the possibility of some heavy machinery around. Doug will check this on the Saturday when marking out the course and will keep everyone updated.
  • Sign on will be in the Tourist Information Car Park in Fort Augustus between 10.30 and 10.45, with the first riders leaving at 11.00.
  • The course will start at the top lock at Invergarry and finish in the car park at the Moorings.
  • Riders will be asked for a £5 donation to take part in the event. This will be donated to Pancreatic Cancer UK.
  • Rather than being run as race this will be run as a club ride. We shall still provide timing so that riders can compare their times against each other, and against previous years. Riders will be covered for third party liability by Scottish Cycling. It would be good to remind riders that for this event, and other events that the club runs, that they should consider joining Scottish Cycling if they require more comprehensive insurance.
  • Doug will sweep at the back on his ebike and collect signs. It was decided that we did not have to have a sweeper van as most people will be able to call on their own back up. Doug will carry a group shelter.
  • Evelyn will send out a newsletter/emails by the end of this week giving details and asking for some marshalls to help out. Jacqui says that she can do the timing.
  • Doug will pop into the Moorings Bistro at some point just to let them know that there may be the possibility of a few bikers coming in for refreshments.
  • We shall provide refreshments for all riders at the end. All tray bakes are welcome.

 

AGM –  Thursday the 4th of November at 7.00 in the Pinemartin Café.

  • Nevis Range are charging £100 for the hire of the room + £5.00 per person for tea/coffee/juice and cake. The club will cover the cost of this.
  • The main AGM will be followed by the Pumptrack AGM.
  • Evelyn will send out the agenda and other info about the AGM by the end of the week.
  • Doug will collect the trophies.

 

  • Awards;

                  – ”Most improved Lady” – Lorraine Whelan

                  – “ Most Improved Downhiller” No final decision was reached. Chris Wright is a strong

                 contender + it would be interesting to see how things go at the Highland Hardline this

                  weekend.

                   “ Most improved Junior Male” – Alexander Pervan

                   “ Most improved Junior female” – No final decision was reached. Doug will check with Sue

                   To see if she has any strong contenders from her Girls group.

  • Presentations

              – Doug will do a Chairman’s report ( including a Kid’s Club report)

              – Gill will do a Treasurers report.

  • Committee Positions
  • Everyone present at the meeting is happy to stand next year. Doug will e-mail everyone else

               on the committee to see how they feel about standing again.

  • Shaun Lee would like to step down from the committee for the time being whilst he gets

                      back to fitness. He is still happy to help out when need be with website stuff and would

                      certainly be happy to be involved with the committee once he gets out biking again.                              

  • Evelyn will be a hard act to follow and it was agreed that we all need to start putting the feelers out about replacing her asap.
  •  
  • Subscriptions for 2022 – it was agreed that these would stay the same for next year.

               – Juniors £8.00

               – Senior £17.00

               – Family £28.00

 

Winter League.

  • Marian has been working hard on putting a provisional schedule together. See below for the very provisional list so far.

 

 

 

 

                                                       Provisional Schedule for the Winter League 20/21

 VENUES

POTENTIAL DATE

 

Wolftrax

Sunday 21st November

Jamie Maxwell

Glen Loy – Strone

Sunday 5th December

Mark Clark

Glen Nevis

Sunday the 19th December

Not part of the Winter League

Kinlochleven

Tuesday the 28th December

 ??????

Nevis Range/Cour

Sunday the 16th January

 ??????

Invergarry

Sunday 6th February

Vince Mackintosh

Strontian

Sunday 27th February

Joseph Tait

Glen Loy – Erracht

Sunday 20th March

Ben Thompson

Nevis Range

Sunday 24th April

?????

 

 

 

 

  • Marian is waiting to hear back from NACC as to whether they wish to run a race this year.
  • The best 5 out of 8 races will count for the adults
  • There will be the possibility of running kid’s races at some of the venues. These will need to be organised seperately by kid’s club once venues and dates have been finalised.
  • Rather than a T shirt for anyone completing 3 races it was agreed that we would look at other options, such as a mug, buff etc.

 

 

 

Website

  • The website is still a work in progress. It is now possible to find results from any races this year by going to the blog sub headings. We are working on finding an easy way to be able to view results from previous years.
  • Evelyn is currently looking at a way of emailing directly via the website, rather than by using MailChimp. Using this system should make things easier as members will be automatically added to the mailing list when they join up.

 

Club Affiliation with Scottish Cycling.

  • Marian has got a number of files/spreadsheets which need updating before we can get affiliation this year. She will liase with Jacqui and Gregor about these.

 

 

 

Banking

  • The club now has internet banking. Doug and Gill can both access this and will now investigate the possibility of opening a new account for Kid’s Club.
  • The bank account currently stands at £11,224

Zoom Account

  • The pro account ( £119 per annum) runs out this month. In the hope that we can possibly move back to face to face meetings Doug will cancel this. If face to face meetings become not advisable then it is very easy to reinstate the account. It is also possible to pay monthly.

Bike Lights

  • We are still seeing if we can locate the lights that we bought a few years ago.
  • If these lights have all gone AWOL or are no longer functioning well then it was agreed that we would purchase 4 new handlebar mounted lights at a maximum price of £80 each.
  • Doug will liase with Off Beat and Nevis Cycles to see what they would have available for us.
  • In the future it would be easier if these lights are looked after by someone on the committee rather than being left in the bike shops.

 

 

 

 

Maintenance sessions at the Bike Kitchen.

 

  • Richard at the Bike Kitchen is keen to do a number of bike maintenance sessions with the club this year.
  • The first two of these are being held next week for the Saturday Ladies group.

Next Meeting – The AGM on the 4th of November

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Committee meeting Minutes 16/8/21

                   West Highland Wheelers Committee Meeting – 16/08/21 on Zoom

Present; Doug Little, Marian Austin, Gregor Muir, Dave Parfitt, Jacqui Parfitt, Norman Clark, Steve Bradley, Gill Barnes.

Apologies; Ian Pooleman, Ailsa Pooleman, Nix Forster, Mylene Macdonald, Evelyn Maclennan.

AGM

  • It would be good, if conditions allow, to hold the AGM in person rather than virtually . Need somewhere with plenty of space.
  • Possible options suggested were The Pinemartin Café, Highland Soap Factory restaurant, Caol Community Centre.
  • Possible dates are Thursday the 4th of November or Thursday the 11th of November.
  • Doug to make provisional enquiries.
  • Pumptrack AGM will be linked on at the end.

Time Trials

  • Final Time Trial of the season is Tomorrow at Loch Leven.
  • It was generally agreed that Emma, Dave and Alastair have done a really great job at organising this summer’s series and it would be great if they were interested in doing it again next year.

Winter League

  • Marian is going to put together a rough schedule to be ready for our next meeting in October.
  • The importance of keeping the courses not too technical was emphasised. Especially if we want to encourage some of this year’s new members to take part.

Wed Night Rides

  • Have been fairly quiet over the last few weeks but should hopefully pick up again now that the school holidays are over.
  • Erracht worked well last week as a venue for those not too used to doing natural trails.

Saturday Social Rides

  • Going well. The ladies group in particular has proven popular.
  • The ladies have asked about the possibility of doing maintenance sessions. Richard at the Bike Kitchen is keen to do this. If this works out, it would be really great to get Richard involved in doing further sessions for the club.

Fort William Foxes

  • Doug had a meeting with the foxes last month.
  • They are still working out what format would work best for them and whether they would be best to set up their own club. Collaborating on Saturdays for the social rides was one option which was discussed.

FTF

  • Provisionally planned for Sunday the 31st of October.
  • Doug to check with the Great Glen Way events team if we are ok to run the race.

Social Ride on the New Blue

  • It would be great to have a club social ride on a Sunday afternoon on the new blue once it opens.
  • Dave will check with Alice about the possibility of getting discounted vouchers for a couple of runs for non-season ticket holders.

Pump Track

  • Things are really starting to progress quite quickly.
  • The facility has been renamed as the “Fort William Bike Park”
  • In collaboration with Disability Scotland the junior pump track will be adapted to make it accessible for many different types of bikes.
  • 3 companies are involved in the tendering process. Tenders will be in by the end of this week.
  • Funding of around £500.000 is now needed. After an anonymous donation of £30,000 and £30,000 from the Moidart Trust, there is now £75,000 in the bank account.
  • A major part of the funding will hopefully come from the Sports Scotland facilities fund.

Kids Club

  • Will restart on Saturday the 28th and run for 6 weeks until the October holidays. After the October holidays it will restart again and run until the Xmas holidays before taking a break for the winter.
  • Anna Trafford and Stephen Cant recently qualified as Level 2 coaches – congratulations!
  • Zoe Newson and Andrew O’Hagen have completed their level 2 training.

AOB

  • Whether we hold a bike sale this year will depend to some extent upon whether the ski club are holding a ski sale.
  • Christian at Woltrax has asked if we would be happy to send a letter of support for the new blue run that they are hoping to build. It was agreed that we would be very happy to do this. Steve is going to liase with Christian as to exactly they would like us to write and get back to Doug.
  • Gregor has done a great job in pulling together all the various polices that we are required to have by Scottish Cycling.
  • Gregor to check with Highland First and/or BASP about the possibility of running a first aid course for any coaches whose qualifications have lapsed.
  • Evelyn is stepping down from the committee at the AGM. We all agreed that she will be sorely missed for all the terrific work that she does in getting important information out to members.

Bank balance

  • Currently sitting around £10,000.
  • Gill is going to chase up our internet banking application once again.

Next Meeting

  • Tuesday the 19th of October.